Since 2008, the UBE Group has been inviting the Japan Philharmonic Orchestra to Ube City, Yamaguchi Prefecture and hosting the UBE Group Charity Concert in order to contribute to the development of local culture through music.
This year, which marked the 13th concert, Junichi Hirokami, a versatile and very popular conductor who has made guest appearances with orchestras all over the world, and violinist Kazuhito Yamane, who has been attracting attention as a young musician performing with orchestras in Japan and overseas, were invited. The performance featured Mozart’s Divertimento in D Major, K. 136 and Beethoven’s Violin Concerto in D Major Op. 61. All the proceeds from the concert were donated to local organizations involved in music.
This year’s charity concert was held with stringent measures in place to prevent COVID-19 transmission. In particular, measures taken by the Japan Philharmonic Orchestra, which resumed performances in Tokyo in July, and measures taken for the Ordinary General Meeting of Shareholders of Ube Industries held in June formed the basis for the infection control measures adopted for the performance. Please see the news release for more details.
|Purpose of Initiative (Objective)
- Purpose: To provide an opportunity for the citizens of Ube City to experience classical music in all its magnificence in line with the Group’s founding spirit of “coexistence and mutual prosperity,” to enhance the local music culture and help foster the next generation
- Concept: Classical music concert to provide citizens of Ube City with the opportunity to listen to a full orchestra
|Number of Employees Involved
||14 (day of the concert)
|Outcomes (Number of Beneficiaries, Outcomes, Comments from Participants)
Number of beneficiaries (seats filled): 461
Due to COVID-19, the number of seats was significantly reduced to maintain physical distancing among the audience.
Amount donated: Approximately ¥880,000
All gate proceeds were donated to music-related organizations in Ube City to enhance the local music culture.
Comments from questionnaire survey:
- “Even with sufficient physical distancing, I was enthralled by the amazing performance and gave my best applause.”
- “I look forward to this concert every time. Please make it a permanent event. I think it is becoming a great tradition.”
- “I was feeling down due to the pandemic, but it was soothing to hear a live performance again.”