UBE Group Basic Policies for Sustainability
The UBE GROUP lives up to its founding spirit and corporate philosophy by ensuring that its businesses contribute to a sustainable world.
- In accordance with laws and regulations at home and abroad, and international norms and guidelines that should be observed, and with respect for human rights, we will pursue our corporate activities in a sound and fair manner.
- We will pursue corporate governance that is in keeping with the demands of society and strive to continuously expand revenues and enhance our corporate value.
- We will secure safety and quality in providing environmentally friendly products.
- We will strive to reduce the environmental impact of our business activities and effectively utilize resources in order to conserve the global environment.
- We will practice appropriate information disclosure for all stakeholders and readily communicate with society.
- As a good corporate citizen, we will engage in social initiatives at home and abroad, to contribute to the growth of communities.
Framework and Policies for Sustainability Initiatives
The UBE Group considers sustainability initiatives to be a key element of corporate management.
The UBE Group’s sustainability initiatives focus on enhancing the Group’s corporate value and advancing its purpose while promoting sustainable growth, and they involve routinely engaging in dialogue with stakeholders to build their trust while coexisting with society. The Group conducts business activities that globally expand the circle of mutual coexistence and prosperity in line with our founding spirit.
The policy direction for the General Affairs Department is as follows.
- Collect information concerning social initiatives (such as socially beneficial activities, philanthropy and aid, volunteering, UBE Foundation, Watanabe Memorial Culture Association, and charity concerts) from among the Group’s sustainability initiatives
- Plan and implement UBE Group Charity Concerts
- Clarify and externally disclose the relevance of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 169 targets in relation to the Group’s activities
- Continually gather external information and information on social trends that should be monitored, such as CSR, the SDGs, and environmental, social, and governance (ESG) issues, and provide sustainability guidance to business divisions and Group companies
The UN Global Compact
In April 2021, Ube Industries signed the United Nations Global Compact and joined the UN Global Compact Network Japan, the local network of Global Compact participants in Japan.
The UN Global Compact is a set of voluntary principles for companies and organizations proposed by then UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan in 1999 at the World Economic Forum in Davos. This global initiative aims to achieve sustainable growth for the international community through responsible and creative corporate and organizational leadership.
In the spirit of our founding principles and management philosophy, Ube Industries and its Group companies are committed to supporting and steadily implementing the UN Global Compact Ten Principles in the four areas of human rights, labor, environment, and anti-corruption. We will continue to help build a sustainable world through our businesses.
The Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact
Selected AAA Website in overall ranking of All Japanese Listed Companies’ Website Ranking conducted by Nikko Investor Relations Co., Ltd.
JPX-Nikkei Index 400
Selected for JPX-Nikkei Index 400 comprised of companies with high appeal for investors, that meet the requirements of global investment such as efficient use of capital and investor-focused management perspectives. The index is jointly prepared by Japan Exchange Group, Tokyo Stock Exchange, and Nikkei Inc.
Companies that formulate an ordinary employer action plan based on the Act on Advancement of Measures to Support Raising Next-Generation Children, and achieve the targets in the prescribed plan as well as meet certain standards are eligible to apply for Kurumin certification from the Minster of Health, Labour and Welfare, as a company that supports child-rearing.
The MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index is designed to indicate companies that have high environmental, social and governance (ESG) performance and is based on data from MSCI ESG Research of Morgan Stanley Capital International, Inc. Constituent selection is based on a comprehensive evaluation of ESG-related risks, and companies with high ESG performance relative to their sector peers are selected from among the top 700 listed companies in Japan by market capitalization. The Government Pension Investment Fund (GPIF), the largest public pension fund in the world, has selected MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index as its stock index for ESG investment.
*The inclusion of Ube Industries, Ltd. in any MSCI index, and the use of MSCI logos, trademarks, service marks or index names herein, do not constitute a sponsorship, endorsement or promotion of Ube Industries, Ltd. by MSCI or any of its affiliates. The MSCI indexes are the exclusive property of MSCI. MSCI and the MSCI index names and logos are trademarks or service marks of MSCI or its affiliates.
Selected as a member of SOMPO Sustainability Index operated by Sompo Asset Management Co., Ltd., an index comprised of approximately 300 member companies demonstrating excellent ESG performance.
Recognized under the Certified Health & Productivity Management Outstanding Organization Recognition Program operated by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry to honor large corporations and small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) displaying excellence in health and productivity management.
The UBE Group recognizes that opportunities for stakeholder engagement are important for the Group to coexist with society, and actively pursues the following five initiatives.
|Stakeholders||UBE Group’s Mission||Means/Opportunities of Engagement|
|Customers||Provide safe, high-quality products and services that are useful to society at fair prices and swiftly respond to customer needs||Communication through sales activities and information disclosure through various means (including the UBE Group website and product catalogs)|
|Suppliers||Engage in fair, honest transactions||Communication through purchasing activities|
|Employees||Provide fair pay and stable employment, develop human resources, properly manage work hours, and support work-life balance initiatives||Corporate briefings, the Central Labor-Management Conference, training, reporting and counseling systems, internal publications, and the Company intranet|
|Local communities and governments||Provide stable, fair employment, pay taxes appropriately, and engage in dialogue with local communities and society||Regional dialogue meetings, Tsubasa community gazette, charity concerts, industry-academia collaboration projects|
|Shareholders and investors||Continuously raise corporate value; provide timely, appropriate information disclosure; and maintain shareholder returns through stable, appropriate dividends and stock buybacks||IR activities (results briefings, investor briefings, facility tours, etc.), the General Meeting of Shareholders, and information disclosure through various means (the UBE Group website, the Integrated Report and the UBE Business Report)|