UBE Group Environmental Vision 2050
The UBE Group pursues a unified approach that addresses global warming, biodiversity conservation, marine plastics, and water resource conservation as global environmental issues.
Approach to Climate Change
Human activity has raised the level of GHGs in the atmosphere, which has had a warming effect on the earth’s climate. Unprecedented and abrupt climate change could have profound implications for people’s lives and for business activities. It is the UBE Group’s mission and social responsibility to act as quickly as possible to address global warming.
- We conduct our business with care for the environment, to help build a decarbonized society.
- We take a long-term perspective and reduce GHG emissions while continuing to develop and supply environmentally friendly products.
- We aim to ensure a global environment that is safe and secure for the next generation, continuing into the future.
- We suitably educate all employees on the importance of implementing initiatives to address global warming. We also work in unison to implement initiatives across our supply chain.
Approach to Biodiversity Conservation
Most if not all products, services, and energy sources that people’s lives depend on exist because of what nature has to offer. Biodiversity is essential to humanity’s living environment and the way people live. It preserves natural blessings, mitigates natural disasters, and serves as the foundation for unique cultures and art form including food cultures.
We will fulfill our responsibility to conserve and sustainably use biodiversity in our business activities.
- In all our business activities, we place a strong emphasis on maintaining healthy natural environments and biodiversity.
- We help build a society that takes into account biodiversity conservation, by developing and providing environmentally-friendly materials, services, and technologies.
- We comply with international agreements and laws and regulations concerning biodiversity in Japan and other countries, and we collaborate with internal and external concerned parties.
- We suitably educate all our employees to recognize and understand the importance of conserving biodiversity. We also work in unison to implement initiatives across our supply chain.
Approach to Marine Plastic Waste
Oceans cover 75% of the earth’s surface and hold 97% of the planet’s water. Marine waters absorb approximately 30% of the carbon dioxide that is released because of human activity, thereby helping to mitigate the impacts of global warming. Humans also depend on oceans as a source of food.
Oceans are essential to making the earth habitable to people. It is critical to ensure that we carefully manage marine resources to realize a sustainable future.
We will strive to conserve the oceans by implementing initiatives to address the problem of marine plastics.
- We promote ways of effectively using plastic waste.
- We address the issue of marine plastics by developing and supplying environmentally-friendly materials and products.
- We help to conserve ocean environments including cleaning up shores and harbors, and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders.
- We suitably educate all our employees to recognize and understand the importance of addressing microplastic waste. We also work in unison to implement initiatives across our supply chain.
Approach to Water Resource Conservation
Water is the source of all life and a valuable and irreplaceable resource for our lives and business activities. Today, the world is facing global-scale water resource issues driven by global population growth, economic growth in developing countries, and climate change.
We will work to maintain and improve the quality of water released into oceans and rivers, while reducing our use of water resources and increasing water reuse and recycling.
- We utilize water more efficiently in our business activities and reduce our water consumption.
- We help develop technologies such as for wastewater treatment, water recycling, and water reutilization, and actively use these technologies.
- We work to conserve and restore ecosystems related to water, including forests, satoyama* landscapes, wetlands, and rivers.
- We suitably educate all our employees to recognize and understand the importance of conserving water resources. We also work in unison to implement initiatives across our supply chain.
*Satoyama: Borderlands between human habitation and nature.
Governance System for Global Environmental Issues
Addressing climate change
UBE Group’s medium-term goals
- Reduce GHG emissions by 17% by FY2030 compared to FY2013 levels
- Aim for environmentally-friendly products and technologies to account for 50% or more of net sales by FY2030
Internal Carbon Pricing
The UBE Group sets internal carbon pricing as a guideline for evaluating carbon prices in capital investment.
|Start date||April 1, 2010|
|Targeted greenhouse gas||Energy-related CO2|
|Listed items|| Increase/decrease in CO2, economic indices when CO2 is considered
(CO2 increase/decrease of 1,000t-CO2 or more per year)
|Materials and text covered|
|Carbon price|| 3,000 yen/t-CO2 (FY2020)
However, notifications will be issued as needed in the even of significant changes brought about by regulatory trends, etc. Carbon pricing subject to change.
Japan Business and Biodiversity Partnership
Ube Industries supports the Declaration of Biodiversity by Keidanren (Japan Business Federation) and takes part in its Business and Biodiversity Partnership.
Forest Conservation Initiatives
In fiscal 2019, 101 employees took part in the 12th Forest Creation Experiential Activity for Water Conservation, thinning and logging bamboo.
This annual initiative is for employees of companies using the Kotogawa River system in Yamaguchi Prefecture. It helps forests retain water and educates participants about the links between water and forests.